Friday, February 15, 2008

What's the bloggin' point?

I’m not sure what the point of blogging is anymore (maybe I never did).

Is it to vent? Man, I wish. There is so much crap going on (especially in the name of Jesus), I’d love to be like Paul and name some names. Instead, God has restrained and I have refrained.

Most of my blogs were efforts to spark thought and growth. I don’t mean to preach (my friends would say I can't control myself). I'm simply processing my own wrestling matches with God. Do these ramblings really help anyone else? Doubt it. There are many wiser communicators out there. My blogs are too infrequent to check regularly anyway. I wouldn't.

My inconsistency isn’t from a lack of things to say. Actually, there’s too much flying around in my mind to process even in conversation with friends. The whirlwind of issues and sought answers is overwhelming.


Maybe the point in blogging is just to connect. An open diary of sorts. I enjoy reading my friends' thoughts, seeing pictures of their fam ... it helps me pray for them better.

But if connection is the point, blogging has little payoff. It's typing with only faint hope of someone sharing in return. Almost like talking to yourself.

Then again, I write for a living and don’t complain about a lack of feedback. Daily, I dutifully pen exegesis and exhortations even though each case of books shipped out results in silence. Getting a paycheck must be a fueling factor (duh).

Apparently I should just accept reality (that's very hard for idealists like me). A blog won't change the world (maybe not one person's mind). It's a far cry from life-on-life friendship (for which there is no substitute and few comparable joys on this earth).


Blogs are a snippet of acquaintance—quick peeks at what’s cooking in the kitchen of someone you know. They also allow bloggers to spill something and see if anyone cares enough to notice. Like informal, semi-safe (but public) group therapy.

I guess we all need that from time to time. But I’d rather have conversation. I could live to be a million and still wake up eager to talk with my friends.

But since everyone's so busy these days ... so little time to hang out, write, text, call, email, etc., I suppose we should keep blogging away.


If so, maybe I will start calling out injustice and naming names. Now that would be theraputic!


Unfortunately, I can't. If I began exposing hypocrites, my name would soon appear on the list. My offenses would indeed be overwhelming writing material.


Guess it's a good thing I don’t blog very often.

5 comments:

Skip said...

I also think that blogs allow us to inspire others and perhaps say things that might not come up in everday chit chat. However, I agree that there is no substitute for a good conversation. Don't quit blogging yet though. People still like to read it. :)

Coryslave said...

Thanks for reading, Skip. I check your blog too. I think we're vying for the "most infrequent blogging" award.

Kate said...

Hey, just bc people dont comment doesnt mean they dont read. You need to blog more often! I enjoy reading your thoughts. Anyway, like you said, writing is therapeutic for me :)Not in substitute for face to face conversation, but in addition to. Send out an email and let people know you are blogging again.

Anonymous said...

It is one point of contact, however infrequent. Is that doing well? II Thes. 3:13

PK

shayn said...

blogging is an exercise in expression. if people read it they do know you a little better. it is no substitute for live one-on-one conversation. for me, it is therapy. i express my thoughts and feelings and if people relate they can comment back. usually, people do not comments because they don't know what to say or they lack the confidence in expressing themselves non-verbally. i enjoy reading you blogs and i agree with Kate.

shayno